Skip to main content

“GOD ANSWERS ALL PRAYERS” August 03, 2009

Isaiah 55
1Ho, every one that thirsteth, come ye to the waters, and he that hath no money; come ye, buy, and eat; yea, come, buy wine and milk without money and without price. 2Wherefore do ye spend money for that which is not bread? and your labour for that which satisfieth not? hearken diligently unto me, and eat ye that which is good, and let your soul delight itself in fatness. 3Incline your ear, and come unto me: hear, and your soul shall live; and I will make an everlasting covenant with you, even the sure mercies of David. 4Behold, I have given him for a witness to the people, a leader and commander to the people. 5Behold, thou shalt call a nation that thou knowest not, and nations that knew not thee shall run unto thee because of the LORD thy God, and for the Holy One of Israel; for he hath glorified thee. 6Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: 7Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the LORD, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon. 8For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. 9For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. 10For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: 11So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it. 12For ye shall go out with joy, and be led forth with peace: the mountains and the hills shall break forth before you into singing, and all the trees of the field shall clap their hands. 13Instead of the thorn shall come up the fir tree, and instead of the brier shall come up the myrtle tree: and it shall be to the LORD for a name, for an everlasting sign that shall not be cut off.

“GOD ANSWERS ALL PRAYERS”

I’ve counseled countless people on the mystery and agony of unanswered prayer. God answers all prayers. I have found through the word of God that if the request is wrong, God will say, “No.” Like us, the disciples made inappropriate requests of Jesus, and he said, “No.” If the timing is wrong, God will say, “Slow.” Like children, we dislike the words, “Not yet,” as God shakes his head at us. God has reasons for his “Not yets;” we must not insist we know better than God. If you are wrong, God will say, “Grow.” Relational discord will cut us off from close fellowship with God. When we disobey, God says, “Why should I honor your requests when you don’t honor me?” When the timing is right, God will say, “Let’s go!” God wants to move that mountain for us; to change that circumstance; to answer that prayer. You’ll be amazed at how often God will say, “SADDLE UP!” “Let’s go!”

It’s almost a weekly occurrence. The conversations go something like this: “Pastor, didn’t Jesus say, ‘Ask and it shall be given, seek and you shall find, knock and the door shall be open?’ Didn’t he say that?” Now, being born yesterday, but not last night and being fairly confident in where conversations like this usually go, I get in the role of Pastor, and I burst into the conversation and say, “Friend, what prayer have you been praying that you fear God is not answering? Let’s get right to the root of the matter.” It is amazing how often that response opens the door for an honest out pouring of confusion and frustration.

Someone says, “I’ve been praying for my husband, my child, my parent... to stop drinking, and they haven’t stopped.” “I’ve been praying for a job, but I can’t find one.” “I’ve been praying for my wife’s depression. Nothing has changed.” “I’ve been praying for guidance, but no guidance has come.” On and on the lamentations go. I couldn’t begin to count how many people I’ve counseled over the mystery--I could even call it the agony--of unanswered prayer. I have decided to use the same memorable little outline with all of you that I use from time to time in my counseling sessions with individuals. If you’ve been praying and nothing seems to be happening, think on these statements with reference to a so-called unanswered prayer.

If the request is wrong, God will say “No” to your request. If the timing is wrong, God might choose to say “Slow,” go slow; wait. If you are wrong—a distinct possibility for some of us—if something is amiss in your life, maybe God will choose, instead of granting your request, to say, “You need to grow.” But if the request is right and the timing is right and you are right, chances are God will say, “Let’s go,” and grant the request. It is simple! God answers all prayers! God always knows the right answer to our requests: “No,” “Slow,” “Grow,” or “Let’s go.” Has God answered your prayer? If not, you need to examine the prayer. The request may be wrong. The timing may be wrong. Or may be you are not right with God. Prayer is not easy. It is a discipline and it is often boring and hard… (Which brings me into next week’s Meditation… “Why I Do Not Pray”) Have a blessed week in the name of Jesus! Amen.

Adapted By: Elder Michael L. Hargett
Associate Pastor
Peace of God Outreach Ministries
Pastors and Overseers Drs. Gary and Patricia Stern
Original Sermon By: Bill Hybels ©
© 2009 – MinTech®, Inc. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“Truly Giving Thanks”

Monday, November 23, 2009 Colossians 3:17 “Whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.” Truly Giving Thanks! I hear people proclaim that they thank God for this and thank God for that and I often wonder do they really mean what they say? Do folk really thank God for waking up in the morning? Do folk truly thank God for use of their right mind? Do folk really praise Him they way he deserves to be praised? For me, I believe most people say it because it has become custom and ritual rather than meaningful. Evident by the way most folk who proclaim these things live their lives. Actions speak louder than words! Folk say they thank God yet they do not live for him. For example, ever seen an award show and a popular performer receives a Grammy. They often begin their acceptance remarks by saying “First, I give honor to God.” But the recording and video they performed represente

WAKE UP

Monday, October 12, 2009 Acts 12:5-11 5 Peter therefore was kept in prison: but prayer was made without ceasing of the church unto God for him. 6 And when Herod would have brought him forth, the same night Peter was sleeping between two soldiers, bound with two chains: and the keepers before the door kept the prison. 7 And, behold, the angel of the Lord came upon him, and a light shined in the prison: and he smote Peter on the side, and raised him up, saying, Arise up quickly. And his chains fell off from his hands. 8 And the angel said unto him, Gird thyself, and bind on thy sandals. And so he did. And he saith unto him, Cast thy garment about thee, and follow me. 9 And he went out, and followed him; and wist not that it was true which was done by the angel; but thought he saw a vision. 10 When they were past the first and the second ward, they came unto the iron gate that leadeth unto the city; which opened to them of his own accord: and they went out, and passed on

“SPEND - SPEND - SPEND”

ISAIAH 55:1-4 1 "Is anyone thirsty? Come and drink, even if you have no money! Come, take your choice of wine or milk, it's all free! 2 Why spend your money on food that does not give you strength? Why pay for food that does you no good? Listen to me, and you will eat what is good. You will enjoy the finest food. 3 "Come to me with your ears wide open. Listen and you will find life. I will make an everlasting covenant with you. I will give you all the unfailing love I promised to David. 4 See how I used him to display my power among the peoples. I made him a leader among the nations. I cannot believe what Christmas is turning into. Stores were open on Thanksgiving Day, Decorations were up in October! All of this in an effort to entice us to spend, spend, and spend! Yet there are people spiritually thirsty and dying of spiritually malnutrition. Nothing offered on sale can ever compare to what God has to offer us. SALVATION! People are out there looking for hap